Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Drill Baby Drill


My father-in-law has a drill press, which is the only tool of choice to make the proper holes for the 2 post pegs.  The gold post peg is 10 mm in diameter. I don't own a 10 mm drill bit so I had to improvise a little. 3/8 inch is about 9.5 mm, from my research this was good because you do want to have a VERY tight fit.  My research also stated that I needed to be careful when pounding in the gold pegs so that the holes don't split.  I taped off the proper depth on my drill bit so that I knew I was deep enough.  (Note: I didn't account for the rounded end so my holes originally were not deep enough.  I had to go back and make them deeper.  I guess my previous post should be titled "Measure Twice Cut Twice")


After a few practice runs on some scrap pieces of wood I was ready to drill for real. Drill bit is in place and the guitar is clamped down.


The drill press has a nice laser "X marks the spot" guide on it.  I'm lining up the first hole.


Lining up to drill the second hole. You can see the first hole has already been drilled.



Aftermath of drilling the second hole.


Here are the two holes after removing sawdust and drafting tape.


I place a towel over the top of the guitar and pounded in the gold pegs with a rubber mallet. It was definitely a tight fit and I had to use a lot of force towards the end to get the pegs flush with the body.  But again everything went smoothly, no splits or any damage to the body.  I screwed the 2 posts into the gold peg.  The Wilkinson tremolo will pivot on these 2 posts.

This last image shows the Wilkinson tremolo in place resting on the 2 posts.  It fits nicely into the hole in the body and has plenty of clearance to pivot up and down without any rubbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment