Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tremolo Bridge System

I will try to give a very brief explanation of a guitar tremolo system, also known as whammy bar. The tremolo arm is a device that allows guitar players to increase or decrease the string tension. By increasing the the string tension or by pulling up on the tremolo arm the note will rise in pitch. Conversely, by pushing down on the tremolo arm the string tension will decrease and lower the pitch of the note. Back in the 1950s Fender guitar introduced the synchronized tremolo. This tremolo system had the bridge pivoting on six screws. Shown here;

The tension of the strings pulled the bridge up and forward, therefor coil springs, commonly 3, are used to offset the tension of the strings by pulling the bridge down and back. These coil springs are located in a chamber found on the back of the guitar.

This is the exact type of tremolo system that David Gilmour has on his black strat.

Again I am deviating from the true layout of components of the REAL Black Strat to add components that I have become a costumed to over the years I have been playing.

The first guitar project I did was a kit from Carvin guitars. This kit included a 2 point floating tremolo system. The concept is very similar to the 6 point system I briefly explained above however it uses two points of contact. Shown here;

The same counter tension coil springs are used to equal out the string tension.

Since my custom blue Carvin Bolt uses this 2 point floating tremolo bridge, I decided to use it in this guitar project as well. I understand that making this decision is making this project more of an influenced by David Gilmour's Black Strat than an actual copy of the Black Strat. But as I stated in an earlier post, I do want to take advantage of more modern technology and use guitar components that I like.





No comments:

Post a Comment